Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quick Update

Not much to report this week...the Mooney is in Longview getting a new starter and a gross weight-increase STC (modification) put on it, so I'm in ground school mode. I have next to me on my desk a signoff to take the Commercial Pilot written exam, which I'll probably do by the middle of next week.

I did get to go to Hooks airport (KDWH) last Friday and meet the guy I'll be doing my CFI/CFI-I with. Gary is legit, and he's located in a good facility. I'm pretty excited about getting that last phase underway. You can check him out online at www.cficare.net. I didn't ask him about the bad (hopefully inadvertant) pun his web address makes. Maybe after the checkrides :). There's no fool-proof, fast track to the CFI, but this guy's system is going to make it about as painless as it could be.

Finally, my case study presentation for grad school is looming. It's not really as big a deal as the thesis---they try to make it seem that way, but in reality it's a grade in one class---but everybody still stresses about it. My scenario deals with student housing, which is an area I could frankly care less about. I would have said the same thing when I was a working student affairs professional---I just never cared for housing. So, it's hard to get into "character" and deal with the scenario.

We have a meeting with our "jury chairs" on April 15, so I want to try to wrap it up by then. Presentations are April 22. Needless to say, my attentions are kind of divided right now. When I envisioned this semester being an overworking, burnout-risking slice of hell, the month of April is what I was picturing. Nevertheless, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and it looks a lot like the approach lighting system on Runway 19 in Waco.

Blue skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment